Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Avatar

So this weekend, we donned our 3D glasses (which, as you can see from the photo, made me look like a bearded Roy Orbison) and headed out to the cinema to see Dances with Wol... no... Last of the Samu... no, that's not right either. Avatar. That's it, Avatar! You can tell the difference because the Native Americ… er… Samuar… um… alien dudes are BLUE!

Man, was that a pretty movie! The 3D started off as a bit of a distraction but I soon got used to it, although I did duck once near the end when some shrapnel flew out at me, but covered it up by pretending I was shifting in my seat.

So yeah. It was a good movie. Nothing very original in it - the plot, as I may have intimated above, has been done any number of times before. The floating mountains can be found all over anime and in fantasy literature; and the crazy crazy alien animals and bizzare fauna can be seen in all sorts of fantasy art; and the spaceships were mostly nicked from Aliens.

But it was very nicely made, decently scripted and performed and the CGI was good enough that after a while I forgot it was CGI. And the inevitable great big battle scene at the end was very, very well orchestrated - it's not often you see a great big battle scene that doesn't waste any shots on frivolous killings. It goes on for just as long as it needs to and then it finishes. Hoorah.

So if you haven't already, go and see it!

No comments: