Thursday, June 14, 2007

Evil Organisations

So, one of the forums that I visit regularly recently had a Sky TV bashing thread and this got me to thinking.

It seems to me that as an organisation grows to a certain size, it acquires hate and revulsion. I'm not sure if it's a head count thing, a profits thing or a success thing. Sky gets it, Starbucks gets it, Tesco gets it, Lloyds TSB gets it and George Lucas, Michael Bay and Russell T Davies get it. I'm pretty sure that we're automatically programmed to hate success.

Remember the episode of South Park where the kids had to write a speech about Starbucks, which was taking over the local coffee shop? It was also the one with Tweek and the Underpants Gnomes, I think!

They came to the conclusion that it was right an proper that Starbucks was as big as it was because they did good coffee and had a good business model.

I think Sky have a pretty good model - they give their customers what they want and, more importantly they give their shareholders what they want. Everything they do is geared toward good business for them rather than what Virgin Media's customers want. I'm OK with it. I don't currently have Sky and it doesn't bother me (although I do have to get a mate to record Boston Legal for me!).

A quick search on google will show that the general opinion that is voiced about Tesco is that they are evil and bad, simply because they've expanded into a huge organisation. This guy states that this is because they made a billion pounds worth of profit the year before last.
My own dad pronounces that Banks such as Lloyds TSB are evil bloodsucking leeches because they posted 4 billion pounds profit off the backs of the hard working masses.

Joe Internet (Joe Public's computer literate cousin) seem to revile George Lucas these days because of the vast amount of money he makes off the Star Wars movies. Okay, his lastest movies weren't top notch, but apparently he only made them to squeeze a couple more billion dollars out of the franchise.

Well guess what, guys. The one thing that all these guys have in common is that they (or the people working for them) are very, very good at business. And the people who will suffer as a result of that are the ones who aren't very good at doing business.

Just sayin', is all...

No comments: