Saturday, June 11, 2005

In which our hero travels to Andover and learns a valuable lesson about stinging nettles.

My legs hurt. They sting, in fact.

I have spent the best part of this week in Andover on the latest instalment of my management development course. This time around, they had us looking at organisational cultures and building towers out of coloured plastic bits. Terribly exciting stuff.

On day 2, it was decided that a 5-a-side footie match would take place between the end of the working bit and dinner. I did not take part on account of being shite at football and because I didn't bring any suitable kit.

The two 'cohorts' played against each other. It was an exciting, dramatic match and many minor injuries were incurred on each side.

At one point, the ball was kicked at an enormously high velocity out of the pitch, over the 15-foot fence, across the car park (bouncing off the roof of a parked 4-wheel-drive vehicle) and into a large patch of stinging nettles. Being a hero, and also the only person present in long trousers, I volunteered to retrieve it. This, it seems was a big mistake. My trousers provided no protection at all to the awesome power of the stinging nettles. I was in agony for the rest of the evening.

So. My management development course taught me two very important lessons:

One: Organisations structures are not nearly as interesting as you might think; and

Two: Stinging nettles hurt. Lots. Even through trousers.

No comments: