Friday, June 09, 2006

Bombs and Peacocks

Hitler tried to kill me yesterday by cunningly hiding an old WW2 bomb on the building site next to my building. We were evacuated at 3pm. Sadly the car park in which my car was parked was within the cordoned off zone, so I was kinda stuck in town for a bit.

The Beeb have a bit of info on it here.

I was in danger of being relocated to London this morning as part of our contingency plan. Thankfully the building is open again this morning, although the bomb is still in-situ and we are likely to be evacuated again at lunchtime today while the army remove it.

Yay. And it’s a glorious day today as well. Highs of 28 apparently. Just right for an afternoon off.
On a slightly different note, I looked out of my dining room window this morning to see something pretty damn bizzare. I was on the phone to my boss - fining out whether the office was open and ... well... the conversation went something like this:…

JDK: Morning, Boss.
Boss: Morning, JDK. May I say what a pleasure it is to be in your kingly presence, albeit in a telephonic fashion.
JDK: (Testily) Yes, yes. I know. Stop simpering, you sycophant, and tell me if the office is open today.
Boss: Why yes, your Majesty. I'm on my way there now.
JDK: (Casually looks out of dining room window) Er...
Boss: Quite the pilaver yesterday, wasn't it?
JDK: Um...
Boss: Apparently we may be evacuated again at lunchtime.
JDK: I... Uh...
Boss: But I'd be eternally grateful if you could see your way to popping into the office and doing some of your impressive stuff.
JDK: Well... Um...
Boss: Are you alright, your Highness?
JDK: There's... um.. something odd in my back garden.

Well, I wasn't quite sure anyone was gonna believe me, so I just took some photos with my handy phone.



Ready?








I wasn't really sure what you do when you find a giant peacock pecking on your back door. I fairly sure it was deliberately baiting Rochester, who was nose to nose with it through the glass with his hackles up.

Given that I have a tiny, tiny back garden which is entirely enclosed by fences, I was somewhat concerned that the peacock didn't have enough space to take off as they need a bit of a run up, just like pigeons.

What do you do when you have a peacock trapped in your back garden? Put up a notice on the lamp posts outside saying: 'Found: Once large peacock. Beautiful Plumage. If you are missing this bird please call the JDK'?

Dial 999, maybe?
Operator: What service do you require?
JDK: Er... emergency peacock rescue?

I finally settled on the RSPCA as an option, but before I could do so, it hopped up onto the fence with the greatest of ease. On that basis, I figured, it could probably get out whenever it felt like it.




Well. Not sure if it's an omen. But most importantly, it looks like we'll be going home at lunchtime. Shame, that.

No comments: