Sunday, January 22, 2012

Some Observations (Or Lack Thereof)

Okay, first things first:  I got my new car on Friday:


Look at the dashboard.  It's like a spaceship.  Or Knight Rider!  I have yet to figure out what all those buttons do.


Yesterday Dr K and I were visited by a friend for whom I do not have a ridiculous nickname.  It was my responsibility to organise an entertaining day out in Bristol for her!

It didn't start well, when we turned up at the Clifton Observatory to have a go on the Camera Obscura.  It was closed.  So we did not observe anything.  I have therefore officially re-dubbed the Clifton Observatory as the Clifton...

We did have a quick look at the Giant's Cavern, beneath the Observatory. It was not Giant. In fact it was pretty cramped, so I have decided tho re-dub it the ... Cavern.

After that, we went down in Bristol proper, where we visited the M-Shed. The M-Shed is a museum down by the waterfront in Bristol with a bunch of cool stuff in it.  For example, there was a vintage, and unattended, cash register in there.  So obviously I had to pop on an apron and sell some wares.


There was also a metal portaloo. The sign next to it suggested it was the top portion some sort of fire tower that was designed to sit on top of buildings during the Second World War.  Clearly, I know better.  Iron Portaloo.


Later that day, there was steak and cake, which rhyme quite nicely.

We eventually ended up at the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition gallery in the museum at the top of Park Street.  For some reason, I didn't win it this year, even though I clearly took the best picture:


I mean, look at the composition of this work of art.  The colours.  The play of light.  The juxtaposition of nature and technology which evokes something really quite profound along the lines of  'Get the hell out of the way of the telly, you mangy little twat!'

I should totally have won.

Well, have a lovely week.  I will be back in seven days, with more nonsense!

No comments: