Sunday, May 01, 2005

Thunderbolts and Lightening...


...Very Very Frightening.

Something that's always struck me a mildly amusing is the attitude that people in Bristol have towards Thunder and Lightening.

During the 5 years I have been in this strange little city, I have not experienced a single thunderstorm. Not one. Oh, there has been the odd rumble of thunder and an occasional flash of lightening. But no real storms. They ususally last about... oh 10 seconds. At most.

After we've had one of these 'storms' I hear people in the office saying things like 'Did you hear the storm last night?'. and 'I couldn't sleep beacause of all the thunder' and so-on.

Laugh, I do.

These people don't know what a thunderstorm is.

Now... when I lived on the sunny south coast, we had half decent thunderstorms. Ones that lasted more than 10 seconds and gave you plenty of rumble for your buck. Theys loiter around the solent, bouncing backwards and forwards between the Isle of Wight and and mainland all bloody night, sometimes. Right proper forked stuff 'n all.

My point? I have to have a point? Oh all right then.

Well we had a bit of a storm last night. It lasted about half an hour. And it was very cool. A pretty constant stobe effect accompanied by the sound of someone dropping wardrobes down the stairs. It was great.

I wouldn't be surprised, however if many people failed to come to work on Tuesday on account of the Apocalypse happening last night.

No comments: