Monday, April 30, 2012

Irking - Part Two: Cocknology

You know how you're using your computer to do a task that you've done hundreds of times before, in exactly the same way as you have done hundreds of times before and yet, by some quirk of fate, it doesn't bloody work!

Happens to me all the time.

Part of my day job is to run programs on a data warehouse. Many of them are standard programs that have been around for years and have worked just fine.

And then one day, they just don't work.

You don't get a helpful error message telling you what the problem is and which of the 300 lines of code it's in. Nuh-uh. You get something like this:



Later, at home, I'll be doing a spot of animation, and the lip synching software that usually does a dandy job, decides that it's going to put the mouths at a 45 degree angle and, just for fun, delete the eyes.

And then my phone informs me that i have no playlists despite the fact that they'rebright there, dammit!



Grr...

And there's my Sky box (PVR for my foreign readers). That just behaves like a dick all the time.



I think I may have worked out the common factor in all of this...





No comments: