Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Venison, Californication and MotoGP

Now, you may be wondering what the connection between butchered deer, a mildly irritating Chilli Peppers song and a console racing game is. Not much, you're probably thinking. Well there is a connection and I'm gonna enlighten you (at this point I should warn you that the explanation ain't gonna be as exiting as you might think).

The connection is this: Corn Street.

Didn't explain a thing, did it? I shall elaborate.

Stead and I met for lunch today at a pub on Corn Street. While we were there, we noticed some unusual activity outside. Several people were wandering round taking photographs of the buildings on Corn Street. This activity left us puzzled for a few moments, until Stead announced that he was going to ask one of them what they were up to, which he did.

The man explained that he worked for a small software company who were putting together a racing game. One of the tracks was going to be in Bristol. They'd completed one last year with tracks in Barcelona and this new one would be out some time next year. Oh, we thought, it's not going to be anything we've heard of, is it? No. Just a piddly little game by the name of MotoGP, conidered by some to be the pinnacle of motorbike racing games. Duh.

So there's the MotoGP (and the more interesting) aspect of it.

Next comes the venison. There's a market on Corn Street. In thet market is a stall which sells game (it's called 'Game On', har de har). Now, I've never had venison before, so I searched my pockets for some cash and could only come up with enough to buy some venison cumberland sausages.

"Have you tried these before?" asked Martin, for that was his name.

"No," said I, for I had not.

"Well try some now," said he, producing a pot of sausage.

So I did. And very tasty it was too.

"It's a shame," mused Martin, "that you can't do the same with women."

Images flashed through my tiny mind of Martin chopping up his wife and turning her into sausages. Martin must have noticed the look on my face.

"Try before you buy", he said hurriedly.

Phew. Not a homicidal maniac, then!

So there's the venison. I can tell you're riveted - you're thinking, "Wow! Not only did he meet one of the developers of a hugely popular video game, he had a frankly hilarious conversation with a butcher in the same lunch break! How can you top that? Californication? What? Did he meet the Chilli Peppers walking down the street?"

No. The busker outside the bank was singing 'Californication'.

Badly.

No comments: