Friday, December 30, 2011

The 10 Things Toastie

It is with great, stomach churning and rather queasy pleasure that I bring you this penultimate post of the year.

First a little history lesson:

Way, way back in the mists of time (historians believe it was around the very late eighties or early nineties), Dr K and her learned friend, Annette embarked upon a mighty crusade to make a truly disgusting snack.  They came up with what they called 'The Ten Things Toastie'.

This abomination consisted of such things as cold gravy, lemon curd, tomato sauce, custard, toothpaste, marmite and cheese spread.  Disgusting, I think you'll agree.

Fast-forward a couple of decades, and Dr K has challenged me to repeat the experience.  Obviously, common sense stepped in the way, but I quickly brushed it aside in favour of a bolder, more idiotic course of action!

First up, we had to choose what was going in the toastie. This is what we came up with:

1. Sliced Jalapeno Peppers
2. Pickled Onions
3. Tomato Sauce
4. Chocolate Spread
5. Beetroot Pickle
6. Cheese
7. An Egg
8. Apple Chutney
9. Salt and Vinegar Chipsticks
10, A Banana

That's right.  For your entertainment, I made and ate a jalapeno, onion, tomato sauce, chocolate, beetroot, cheese, egg, apple chutney, chipstick and banana toastie.  Yum yum.

Or not as it turned out.




There were a couple of moments towards the end that I thought I wasn't going to finish.  In fact there was one moment when I thought I was going to see the toastie again.

I'm pleased to report that, although I did this about 5 hours ago, my stomach is still churning.  I don't think I'll be sleeping well tonight.

Here's a video of the whole sordid affair:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really, you need the toothpaste for maximum grossness. But well done, give yourself a pat on the back. (If you can manage it without heaving...)

Unknown said...

It's interesting you should say that. I was going to, but Dr K forbade it.