Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Relative Horribleness Of Foreign Sweets #13: Brazil

I'm developing a backlog of foreign sweets. I already have Brazilian sweets and French sweets lined up and over the last couple of days I've been supplied with Israeli sweets, American sweets, Scottish sweets and more Polish sweets.

So without further ado, here's my review of the sweets of Brazil.


Now these were originally represented to me as sweets from Cuba, but when we looked at the bag in more detail, it became clear that they were actually made in Brazil. Which suits me just fine, because Brazil is frickin' huge and will fill my sweet map with lots of lovely colour.

'But what colour will it be?' I hear you cry! Shut up and let me tell you.


Brazilian sweets are individually wrapped chews. The wrappers are somewhat disappointing. No exciting, shiny foil. No brightly coloured animals. Just the name of the sweet. Which is Lua Chew.


Inside, it's just a vaguely strawberry flavoured, soft chew. Nothing special here. In fact one of my workmates suggested that they tasted a bit like strawberry Lipsyl.


Not one to turn down an unspoken challenge, I went out to the chemist in search of a Lipsyl. I couldn't find one, but figured that this stick of strawberry flavoured store brand lip salve would be a pretty close match!


Yum yum. I'll admit it was only a small bite, but it was a bite nonetheless.


Although the strawberry lip-salve was much, much softer than the strawberry flavoured Brazilian chew - not chewy at all, in fact - it did indeed taste very similar.

So the upshot of all this... Brazilian chews taste like lip salve. Which is to say, not very nice. But they're no salty liquorice, so they get a 3 out of 5 and a lovely orange hue.



Although I have a lot of sweets to get through, I'll try not to overload you. There's a 50:50 split between people who enjoy these sweet reviews (mainly people who are waiting for their own sweets to be reviewed) and people who, for some reason, believe these reviews to be 'cheating'.

No comments: