Monday, August 01, 2011

The Relative Horribleness Of Foreign Sweets #7: Japan

Remember the amazing box of foreign sweets that I wrote about a few days ago?

Well I made my first foray into it. For this post, I am concentrating on the Japanese sweets.

The first item is an attractive but tiny packet of Hello Kitty ball bearings.



I think, but I could be wrong, that they are supposed to be grape flavoured. They do kinda look like grapes. Kinda. And they taste like the kind of grapes that a sweet manufacturer who had never tasted grapes and had the flavour described to him by a golden retriever.

They weren't actually horrible, but they were nothing to write home about either!

Next up are these strawberry things:




They came in a packet that was exactly the same shape and size as this sachet of cat food:



This had me worried to begin with.



Fortunately the contents of the packet was nothing like the contents of the cat food sachet.



They tasted better, too. Kinda like strawberry gum. Not at all like processed prawns.

The official score for Japan is a 3 out of 5. Not great, but then, the sweets wen't great either!

At least Japan can take pride in the fact that Japanese sweets are nicer than cat food.

No comments: