Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Doughnut Of Time



Do you like my doughnut? Pretty sweet, isn't it? Look at it's pretty colours and it's exciting layers.

I had always written off doughnut charts as a substandard variation of a pie chart. I mean it works just like a pie chart, but with a great big hole in the middle. Big deal.

But then I discovered that you could layer them and show different sets of data on each ring.  And that was when they became awesome.

So, back in September I kept a record of how long I spent doing stuff.  At a fairly high level, obviously.  And then I worked out a RAG status to show how much, on the whole I enjoyed those activities.



INNER RING
(High Level
Activity)
Time
Taken
MIDDLE RING
(Low Level
Activity)
Time
Taken
OUTER RING
RAG
OFFICE 58.5 hrs Work 47.5 hrsGREEN
Travel 9.5 hrsAMBER
Lunch 1.5 hrsGREEN
SLEEP 49 hrs Sleep 49 hrsAMBER
HOME 60.5 hrs Leisure 37.5 hrsGREEN
Blog 9 hrsGREEN
Kitchen 8 hrsRED
Bathroom 6 hrsAMBER


A couple of clarifications:


  1. I mostly enjoy my job, although there are bits I detest. But my workmates are awesome and I get a whole ton of job satisfaction, so I gave it all green.
  2. Sleep. Meh. It's wasted time as far as I'm concerned. But I need it, so I do it. Grudgingly, though.
  3. I only have one chore at home: feeding Dr K  And I don't like it.  But it's the only one she gives me, because she hates cooking more than I do.  She does pretty much everything else. So I can't really complain.
  4. That time in the bathroom isn't just pooing. There's some washing and stuff in there too. Honest.
  5. All that leisure time is divided between watching TV, playing video games, doing for walks, shopping, reading and a whole bunch of other stuff.

So, all in, I reckon I have a pretty healthy balance of work and leisure and sleep.  Apart from this, there is no particular insight into my life to be gained, apart from the fact that I quite like it, I'm pretty good at it and I also like Doughnut Charts!

No comments: