Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Weighty Post

Girls are rubbish at carrying stuff.

For example, when we went food shopping yesterday, Dr K handed me a bag of shopping and said 'Can you carry that one to the car, it's really heavy.'

I took it from her, expecting it to be a little challenging, but as it turned out, it was a bag of feathers and helium. By which I mean that it was grocery shaping. But really, really light grocery shopping.

After a brief discussion about the nature of heaviness, we decided that a small experiment was in order.

Basically, we took a shopping bag and filled it with weights until Dr K declared it too heavy.

(The criteria of 'too heavy' was not that it was too heavy for her to lift, but specifically that it was too heavy to convey home from the village shop if there was a man accompanying her.)

We used a bag that weighed 40g and several 1.25kg dumbbell weights. For the purposes of his experiment, we will use the term 'passover event' to describe the moment that the weight becomes intolerable and is passed over to the big, strong man. This is mainly to make it all sound more scientific and plausible.

Well, I say 'several', but Dr K declared that the bag was too heavy after 3* of them, so perhaps a 'few' would be a better description.

The combined weight, including the bag at which the passover event occurred was 3790 grams.

To put that into context, a full pint bottle of milk (the glass kind) weighs 816g. So the passover weight equates to around four and a half pints of milk.

I, on the other hand, can carry at least 5 pints of milk without complaint.

This conclusively proves that girls are rubbish wimps.

What's that? It wasn't a very scientific experiment?

Well, I suppose we could have formalised it by wearing white lab coats and having some glowing liquids around in test tubes, but I like to think of myself as something of a maverick. I live on the cutting edge of science and if you can't handle it then maybe you should go back to your slower than light neutrinos and stop bothering me!



( * Should I mention that she actually started complaining after the second weight was added? No, I think not. She might hit me and. Don't really want people thinking of my blog as condoning domestic abuse! )

No comments: