Thursday, November 03, 2011

The Relative Horribleness Of Foreign Sweets #21: United Arab Emirates

So my brother's girlfriend popped over to Abu Dhabi to see a relative and came back with some genuine Arab sweets.

Apparently it was quite hard to locate genuine local sweets over there as the supermarkets are full of the ubiquitous Haribo and Dairy Milk. But they persevered and here's what they came up with:

These are basically squished up dates, rolled around in various toppings.

While they look quite pretty in the box, I'm gonna be honest and say that in close up, some of those 'toppings' look suspiciously like they may have been floor sweepings at some point.

Not only do these look like massively compressed dates, they taste like it too. You won't be wanting more than one or two of these at a time. Not unless the toilet is one of your favourite places.

I don't mind dates, but I think they're pretty boring - the toppings on these don't add much to the whole dating experience. I get the impression that the natives of Dubai don't have quite as sweet a tooth as me.

So, the UAE only scores a 3. If I was them, I would be happy enough with that. At least they're not Sweden!

No comments: