Friday, May 18, 2012

The Relative Horribleness Of Foreign Sweets #29: China

China is a big, big place.  As such, it's only fitting that they provide a larger selection of goodies for my taste buds to sample!


Here we have three very suspicious looking articles.  Presentation-wise, I'm not really keen on any of them!


I decided to get the worst out of the way first. These sweets have a giant shrimp on the front of the packet. Doesn't really bode well for me, considering I've never met a seafood that I liked. Still, in the interests of science (and padding out a blog post), I was willing to take one for the team.

Inside the shrimpy wrapper, it was  kinda like a big boiled sweet.  With stripes on.

Weirdly, it did not taste fishy at all.  In fact it tasted like peanut butter.  That's because inside that stripy shell, it was... er... peanut butter.  With not a hint of decapod crustacean.

On closer inspection of the packaging, there was no mention of shrimps at all.  So all in all it was a much less traumatic experience than I was expecting.

Not to worry, though.  There's plenty of trauma to come...



Not quite yet though.  Because despite looking quite a lot like a dog treat, this next one was bloody delicious. It had a tasty creamy bit surrounded by a lovely wafery bit and although it was much moister, it reminded me a lot of one of my favourite biscuits:  The pink wafer.


Pink wafers are deeply unpopular with the general population, but me and my tatsebuds like 'em.  And, in fact after tasting the chinese dog treat, I went out and bought a packet of pink wafers.

And scoffed them.


Finally we come onto this fruity little abomination.

I say it's some sort of fruit.  I'm not sure what fruit it is.  It was in a sweet wrapper and I am assured is what the people of Hong Kong munch instead of M&Ms.  I suspect someone was fibbing.

The skin was like leather, and when I bit into it, something salty squirted into my mouth.

Without further ado, I sent the little fucker to Finland*.

So China has a full range of sweets which range from absolutely fucking horrible to not entirely vomit-inducing to bloody lovely.  On average, I think it gets a 3.  Maybe a 3.5.  Either way, it's Amber.  Eat sweets in China at your own risk!


I have now run out of horrible foreign sweets.  But I still have a long way to go, so expect more in the not-too distant future!
.
( * You will remember, of course, that I coined the phrase 'to Finland' a few days ago.)

No comments: