Saturday, September 24, 2011

9 Things To Do Before You Die

There seems to be a preponderance of bucket lists on the internet. Stuff like '100 movies you should see before you die'. Or '50 places to visit before you die'. That sort of stuff.

I'm not really sure why they all feel the need to make reference to your death. It seems a bit morbid and a bit unnecessary.

I mean would the movies on that list be any less great if the title was just '100 movies you might like'?

Probably not.

Anyway, here's my slightly more pragmatic list of things you really should do before you die:

1. Take your last breath. This won't take much planning. You'll be taking your penultimate breath and then suddenly you'll be having the last one. And then you'll die. So that's nice.

2. Have a final meal. Same with this one. At some point you'll eat some stuff. And some time before your next meal, you'll die. So you can't really help having a final meal. I hope mine is curry.

3. Drink some stuff. I'm willing to bet that you've drunk some stuff in your life. So you can pretty much check this one off if you like.

4. Famous last words. Well, maybe not famous ones. But you'll definitely have some last words. Unless you can't speak I suppose. Anyway, some last words are better than others. I'm hoping mine won't be 'I'm off for a poo!'

5. Blink. Because if you don't, your eyes will dry out and get all itchy. And that's no fun.

6. Grow your hair. Unless you have alopecia, or you're having chemotherapy, it will take care of itself. Actually this one's a bit rubbish, isn't it? I think I'm pushing my luck a bit. Moving on...

7. Live for at least 85 years. This one's really important. If you don't do this one, you've done it wrong. Or you're really unlucky!

8. Get born. Well duh. You can't die if you weren't alive to start with. I guess there are some technicalities - you could argue that a foetus can die before it's born- but this post is about you, and you were definitely born. So there.

9. Finish reading this blog. Hah!


No comments: