Sunday, January 09, 2011

Rochester vs The Bacon


My cat really likes bacon. He has some sort of bacon radar (which I suspect he keeps in his nose) that alerts him to the presence of bacon the instant it's exposed to the air.

Case in point. The other day, I cooked us a lovely fry-up. Rochester was asleep in the next room. I took all of the ingredients out of the fridge. The bacon was plastic wrapped. Started cooking the sausages. There were no cats in the room.

Next up, I took the kitchen scissors out of the drawer. Still no cats.

Then I cut into the bacon wrapper. Within moments of the bacon molecules being freed into the general atmosphere, there he was, at my feet, shouting for a taste of the lovely, lovely bacon.

I say 'shouting'. Rochester doesn't actually make much noise when he meows. Normally, he just kind of mimes. When he's really desperate he manages a strangled little squeak. That's what he was doing. (I've been trying to catch him doing it on video for years, but he's really camera-shy!)

Anyway... Rochester loves bacon. Can't really blame him!

No comments: