Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Adventures In Updating

Regular readers of my blog will know about my special relationship with Bill Gates and the late Steve Jobs.


Well, today was update day and they seemed determined to continue their campaign against me!

I got home from work eager to go out for the curry that Dr K had promised me.

Knowing that it would take a couple of hours to download, I got ready to connect my iPhone into my laptop ready to get it's shiny new update from Apple. As I was about to plug it in, however, I noticed that Bill was pestering me about urgent updates to windows. He was threatening to restart my computer at any moment.

'Aha,' I thought to myself. 'I don't want to fuck everything up by letting my computer shut down mid-update. I shall let Bill do his thing now, so I don't have to worry about it.'

So I allowed my laptop to restart.

Unfortunately, it appeared to be an important update to the startup functionality on my laptop. Specifically, it added an exciting new error message to the usual routine:


How frustrating. And that is how it remained until it was time to go out.

I had a delicious curry. Murg Jalali, I think it was called. Quite hot and very tasty. Band yes, I did bring home the naan bread.

Anyway, by the time I returned home my laptop had completed it's thrilling journey around cock-upsville and it was time to download my update.

That was two hours ago.

This is now.


See, Bill had his fun with me and then tossed me to Steve like sloppy seconds.


(It's a Star Wars joke. The cool kids will get it!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate that thing where it tells you to restart your computer for an update. I always tell it to go away and it keeps popping up to nag me, angering me every single bloody time! I never give in to it though. Oh no! Hahahaha, I am more stubborn that the update naggy thing!