Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How to finish a phone call

Here is how you finish a phone call:

"Goodbye."

There are several other options available to you. "See ya," is a popular option as is "Talk to you later," a simple "Bye," or even "Ta ta," if you're feeling a bit cheeky.

What you don't do is just stop talking and hang up.

Here's a scenario for you:
Caller: I need you to put together some paperwork for me.
Dazza: Sure. I can do that. I'm a very helpful chap.
Caller: When will you have it ready for me?
Dazza: How's Tuesday for you?
Caller: Yes, that'll be fine.
Dazza: Cool. Anything else you need?
Caller: ...click...
Dazza: Er... hello?
Caller: ...
Dazza: Did you just hang up on me?
Caller: ...
Dazza: You did, you rude bitch. You hung up on me. Why I oughta...


Can you see what went wrong there? Yes? Thought so.

See, on the telly, people do weird things. They only ever pour out half a cup of tea, they keep leaving their drinks in the pub after about 2 sips, they pull weird faces when they think no-one's looking and they hang up the phone without saying goodbye.

I don't know about you, but if you served me up half a cup of tea, you might see me react a little bit like this:


But then, as you know, I take my tea drinking quite seriously.

So, real people don't leave three quarters of a pint in the pub, they don't make weird little half smiles for the camera's benefit when they get away with a lie and they don't hang up before the phone conversation is finished.

Unless you're the weirdo lady I've been dealing with on the phone this week.




No comments: