Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Quiet Bogie-Eating Carriage

I went to London today. London rocks, but actually going to London is a bit shit.

The seat that had been booked for me was in the 'quiet' carriage. I'm not really sure about the point of the quiet carriage. You're not supposed to make phone calls or to listen to your mp3 player, so that you don't disturb the other passengers. But this little scenario, which took place shortly after we left Bristol Parkway shows why that's just a load of mouldy old balls:

A man got on the train and sat a few seats away from me. He took out his phone and started to make a call. I actually thought he was quite discreet about it. The woman a few seats up the carriage disagreed.

'Excuse me,' she said, tartly. 'I think you'll find that this is the quiet carriage.'

The man looked round, verified that she was correct, apologised and put his phone away. And then she sat down and continued her extremely loud conversation with her companion, who I can only assume was partially deaf.

In my mind, she was far less considerate of the effect of her voice than the man on his phone.

Around about Swindon, I noticed that the man next to me was picking his nose. He thought he was being quite subtle about it because he had rested his head in his hand and slipped his little finger up, like this:


In retrospect, I don't think I was actually in the quiet carriage. I think I was in the nose-picking carriage. I saw at least 2 other people at it around me.


I think, perhaps we're going to have to start putting up a 'no nose picking' sign in public places. Just so people know.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could have done with one of those for my ex - might have saved the marriage...for another few minutes.