Monday, February 21, 2011

Lunaediesophobia

Oh, god. It's Monday again.

Turns out that there's a word for the dislike of Mondays. Well, actually, the fear of Mondays, but since we so often use the word 'phobia' to mean 'dislike', I think it's probably okay.

Lunaediesophobia.

Good, isn't it?

I think Mondays would be so much more tolerable if I didn't keep having a rubbish nights sleep right before them. It seems to happen almost every week.



If only there was a word for that, too. I've looked but I can't find one.

So I made one up:

Insomnianoctasolis.

Here's how it works: Insomnia-nocta-solis.

'Insomnia'. Obviously. Latinesque for 'want of sleep'.

'Nocta'. Latinish for 'night'; and 'Solis' from the Latin for 'sun'.

I went with this because 'Sunday' in Latin is 'Dies Solis' which translates directly to 'Day of the Sun'. Then I substituted 'day' for 'night': 'Noctem' and then tweaked it to make it sound cooler.

If there are any etymologists out there who want to help me perfect this awesome and useful word, please feel free to let me know.

No comments: